Tuesday, January 6, 2009

*Cough Cough* Is It Dusty In Here?

I’m going to do it some day. I’m going to wake up, and instead of going to work, I’m just going to get in the car and drive. It won’t take more than an hour or so to load the bikes, throw a few clothes into a bag, and be gone. I’ll know when that day is when I first open my eyes – there won’t be the slightest doubt in my mind.

I don’t really like to plan trips or vacations or anything like that. But this is different. It’s a lot easier when there’s no deadline, no set date, and you know you’re not coming back. It’s actually been enjoyable over the last X number of years, writing the letter explaining what to do with all my stuff, rewriting it as things change, you know, just trying to keep things current. There’s not a lot to take care of, so it’s not exactly a Herculean task. Therapeutic, nonetheless.

Some day, it’ll happen. I don’t know when, and I’m not sure where I’ll wind up. But goddamn, the dust that’s been building up over all these years will finally be shaken off. You’ll see that cloud rise up, you’ll see it from across town, you’ll see it from across the goddamned state, I tell you. Then you’ll see it settle back down on everyone who’s still waiting for their day. Meanwhile, I’ll be wondering where to head next, but not really caring all that much.

Some day. But not today.

Maybe I’ll just buy a Swiffer … the person on TV tells me they’re much better than those old feather dusters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 Things:

1) Don't forget the gummy bears. You'll need them.

2) Will you leave me your music collection?