Friday, March 27, 2009

Fried Day

It's been an interesting day so far.

The Live Acorn and I set out for Salt Lake City to visit another branch of the ole oak tree, and as the grey ghost is really more of an around-town vehicle, we borrowed the ... the ... ummm, I'm not sure what to refer to the Ex-Dead-Acorn-Mother-Of-The-Live-Acorn as. Maybe just EDAMOTLA - it does have "damn it" in its pronunciation. In any case, we borrowed her car, and I swear, I had every intention of returning it.

So we're cruising along just outside of Burley, and I hear a weird little sound that, over the subsequent 10 seconds, grew into a louder weird sound, a rapid crescendo that quickly culminated with a sharp thump and the visual accompaniment of smoke billowing out from everywhere around the hood. Luckily, I was in the passing lane at the time, so we got the added thrill of cutting across both lanes to get to the right shoulder. Many thanks to the understanding drivers behind us.

Turns out I blew a rod in the car the car blew threw a rod. I knew there was a good reason I bought the extra-bitchin' extendo AAA package, though I certainly expected to use it on the ghost. We got towed on back to Twin Falls, and the EDAMOTLA was kind enough to drive over and pick us up. Had I gone one more level with AAA and got the 200-mile coverage, we could've rode that truck all the way home. It was pretty funny to see the devil dog, riding in the car, going to town on all the snacks we had left back there. I'm sure she had a great time.

The car was emptied out and abandoned without so much as a goodbye hug, and the search for a replacement begins.

Well, we're all home now, and getting back to business as usual, doing such mundane chores as vacuuming the freezer:


I do so love that shopvac.

And life goes on.

No comments: