Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Where's The Beach?

I’m heading off on a bit of a vacation this weekend, traveling over to the rainy and dreary beautiful Oregon coast to visit a few friends that I haven’t seen in quite a while. We’ve rented a house for a couple of days – just 5-6 buds surfin’ the giants, like we used to do when we ruled the beach down at Big Sur.

Ok, I think maybe Steve has surfed one time - we’ll probably just drink beer.

There was a lengthy discussion in our email exchanges as to whether we were going to bring wives/girlfriends, a topic which I was never really asked to chime in on, like they just assumed that it was a moot point with me, as I, in all likelihood, would have neither at the time of the trip. I mean, yeah, it turned out to be a pretty good assumption, but still, way to drive it home that I’m all alone in this world, assholes.

I've discovered that our destination is a bit farther down the street than I had guessed. I fired up the ole Google Maps to check the distance, and was shocked to find that I’m looking at about 560 miles (9 hours by their estimation – probably a bit optimistic for the Zuke Of Earl, but in the ballpark, I’m sure). My original plan of getting on the road at noon and arriving in the mid-afternoon may need revising.

I was more than a little flattered at their prediction of cycling time (Google Maps now does bike routes as well!). Two days flat – I mean, I ride to work every once in a while, and used to race a little back when I was but a lad, but assuming riding 12 hours a day, that comes out to … let’s see … carry the 2 … just over 23 miles an hour (37 km/h). I’m not sure that I’m up to the task, to be honest. I mean, sure, Eddy Merckx did 30.7 miles in one hour, but his bike was a little lighter than mine, and he was riding at high altitude.

Above: I AM riding from about 2500' elevation down to sea level ... maybe they're taking into account that it's mostly just coasting. (click to enlarge)

Teh Google also provides alternate routes. The time difference for the extra 33 miles in the second route is 3 hours, which seems a bit inconsistent with their initial estimate of my physical prowess, unless they’re calculating that extra distance at the end of the ride. After a 2 day full-on sprint, well, yes, I probably would lose a little oomph there at the end.

I think I’ll go ahead and drive – I don’t need to prove anything to anybody by riding. Google thinks I’m in fine shape, and that’s better than having some stupid girlfriend around making fun of my beer belly.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Um..so are you bringing wives/girlfriends? Because if you are...
Well...maybe we should get back together.
And if not...HA!

amber said...

I uses the google bike route planner quite frequently and it has been usually pretty accurate about the time but often suggests a turn that simply doesn't exist and occasionally a road that doesn't exist or intersect with the road that I am on. Ah beta testing!

The Dead Acorn said...

I think the decision was "we won't bring our wives," and as a corporate tax attorney trained to spot loopholes ...

Amanda - Google maps turns my 3 1/2 mile ride to work into about 6 miles. Still, it's beta than nothing.

amber said...

Awww... you just called me amanda. You're breakin' my heart...

The Dead Acorn said...

ouch.

I'm not sure what to say after that. Maybe it's inner Bear fan lashing out after your chickens beat my Bears.

I'll win you back. (Should I say "i'm kind of serious about that" after that?)

amber said...

You'll make it up, I'm sure. Somehow. Someway.