Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Indeed It Does, Francine ... Indeed It Does.

I showed up at work WAY too early this morning … somewhere in the neighborhood of 6:00 am (this has been happening far too often as of late, due to my employer seemingly having forgotten that my boss retired 6 months ago, and that an appropriate response to that would be to find someone to replace him, as I’m still only actually being paid to do one job). Anyway, I had forgotten my key to the outer door, and my little swipe-card-magnetic-secret-door-opener thingy was in my desk, doing absolutely no good at all.

I waited around a few minutes, certain that someone a little more prepared than me would come along directly, and sure enough, Francine from Finance came strolling up the walk. I haven’t really spoken to Francine all that much, but she’s always seemed very nice – a sweet little grey-haired grandmotherly type, in her 60s, that kind of thing.
Dead Acorn: Good morning, Francine … I’m afraid it’s a little early for my brain this morning … I’ve forgotten my keys, and I’ve left my badge upstairs.

Francine (pausing for a few moments): Sucks to be you.
The smile that I halfway expected, letting me know she meant it in jest, did not come. She did let me in, eventually, but believe you me, sister, I’ll not be forgetting my key again anytime soon.

5 comments:

Niamh B said...

she is just a mean old bitter twisted old old...

Organised people suck. Sucks to be organised - that's what I'd have said to her.

The Dead Acorn said...

I suppose she could have been referring to the fact that I had forgotten to put on pants, as well.

Jonny Hamachi said...

Sucks to be Francine. She's there everyday at 6:15.

Niamh B said...

Oh, it definitely sucks to be Francine, she has my sympathy

P77 said...

Mr. Corn, maybe Francine has a more checkered past than you realize. Cut her some slack, she was probably just hungover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6VFwFr3uiQ