Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Just A Wee Post

On this day in 423 C.E., St. “The Saint” Padraig, leading a battalion of snakes, though vastly outnumbered and brandishing only crude weapons carved from potatoes, defeated the occupying French army and drove them out of Ireland and back across the channel. Over 1500 years later, in 1952, John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara starred in “The Quiet Man,” set in Inisfree, Ireland. These two occurances set in motion the events that, just 12 years hence, would result in the invention of Lucky Charms.

Or something like that.*

Above: I'm not sure of the Gaelic translation of "hubba hubba," but that Miss O'Hara is one fetching Archie.

Erin Go Bragh!

[ST. PATRICK'S DAY JOKE UPDATE]:
Q: What did St. Patrick say as he was driving the snakes out of Ireland?

A: "Are ye alright in the back there, lads?"

* The Dead Acorn is a product of the Idaho public school system. Believe it or not, with the recent textbook selection by the Texas school board, which essentially drives the selection for the entire United States, knowledge of history by our youth will soon be even worse.

6 comments:

Niamh B said...

Happy Paddy's day Acorn...

I suppose you'll be moving on after this, dropping us Irisheens from the side bar - once our popular time of year is over... you'll be all into Italian blogs or whoever has the next best festival, moving with the trend, ahead of the trend, on the trend, ya trendy thing ya.

:-)

The Dead Acorn said...

I'm more than a little hurt that you would think that of me. Sure, I'll throw back a Nochebuena on Cinco de Mayo, walk a picket line on International Worker's Day, and dance a Samba or two during Carnaval, but my heart will always be in dear auld Éire.

Domestic Oub said...

Happy St Paddy's Day DA :) I have broken my lentan promise, as one is allowed to do on Patrick's Day and I am having a beer. And a little drop of wine. And sure the break did begin a few days ago. But, hey, whoes counting. I do hope you'll join us (and especially the drunken teenagers who are hopefully all passed out in their own vomit all over the streets of Dublin by now - a little bit of the tale your history books may have left out) and raise a glass on this, the greenist of days...

The Dead Acorn said...

I believe I will join you. The bar I live at has the Pipe & Drum crew coming through tonight ... usually about 20 bagpipers and drummers in a pretty small place, so you really can't hear yourself think for the next day or so.

I remember the teenagers in the streets from my one visit to Dublin, and it wasn't even St. Patrick's Day. Wanting my experience to be as close to authentic as possible, I, of course, joined them.

Domestic Oub said...

You visited us here, in our grey and miserable isle? Good for you, what with 110% of your compatriots not owning passports and the like...

Tell me, do they show any of the Patrick's Day meeting between your intelligent and charming president and our glorious caveman 'leader' on the telly over there? It's a yearly event where the most popular kid in school is really nice, just briefly, to the biggest nerd. A kinda John Hughes meets international politics kinda vibe...

The Dead Acorn said...

I guess there was a little teleprompter mixup and Cowen started reading Obama's speech. Funny stuff.

And yep, I'm pretty much the only non-xenophobic non-warmonger here. And which one is the nerd and which one is the popular kid? 'Cause Obama tucks his t-shirt into his shorts when he plays basketball, and it's something of a national embarrassment.