Monday, January 11, 2010

You Meet The Nicest People On Chairlifts

I finally got my lazy butt up to the ski hill and made some turns on Saturday. I shared a chair ride with a very nice couple who appeared to be in their late 50s – they informed me that they had just recently returned to skiing after a number of years off. An actual part of the conversation:

Woman: How do you like your skis? They seem to be sort of in between the old style straight skis and the new parabolics. I’m really enjoying these new shaped skis.

Dead Acorn: I like them … I’ve had them for about 4 years now. I’ve thought about trying some new ones, but you really need to spend a whole season demo-ing different types, and even then, that whole process leads you to believe that no matter what you choose, maybe there’s a better ski out there, when in reality, your old skis were perfect for you, and maybe if you hadn’t skied across the parking lot to get to the car all those times they’d still be good, and then you spend the rest of your life second-guessing your decisions and asking “what if?” in between every mogul.

(pause)

Woman: She must have devastated you.

(longer pause)

Man: Please don’t kill us.

The hill was packed with a bunch of damn teenagers with their racing, so I made it a "two and through" day. It's always nice to get out, though, and share a chair with strangers.

No comments: